I was really very productive in August, but I suspect it was at the expense of the projects. No bad thing, but I’d probably like to focus my energies a little more in what remains of September.
On with the reckoning: TL;DR version – of 12 projects: 4 achieved; 4 partially achieved; 4 not achieved.
Yikes! I think this is pretty much my worst month yet.
- war on sloth
- war on graffiti
- war on duopolies
- war on clutter
- war on chub
- war on unnecessary spending
- war on the uncreative
- war on blandness
- war on the shoddy / shonky in ThePalace(OfLove)
- war on our genX slackerness
- war on the career (see genX slackerness)
- war on poor self-esteem
– running at least 3x per week / daily exercise – core + glutes (even 5 minutes is better than nothing).
NOT ACHIEVED: I did do my two longest runs in the year! The sun is now rising earlier, so I might actually be able to get out before work. I need a Giant Sign or something to remind me to do core work.
– never let the graffiti on the front of ThePalace(OfLove) remain unpainted for more than 24 hours. Always photograph, always report.
ACHIEVED: tagged twice, repainted quickly.
– minimise shopping at Coles / Woolies and their associated companies.
– support small, independent businesses
ACHIEVED!: 250 DAYS!!!!
– get rid of everything we don’t need or want or things we have been holding on to for stupid reasons
NOT ACHIEVED: Ummm, so I added to the collection of stuff with 5 large picture frames and an elderly ebook reader cast-off from the SML move.
– continue with amazingly successful 5:2 diet
– no booze (except for holidays)
PARTIALLY ACHIEVED: One year on 5:2 and it has been completely brilliant. I’d like to stop snacking so much on non fast day evenings – really need to cut down on the baking!
I was going to congratulate myself on the continued no-booze, but then realised I had a couple of glasses of champagne to celebrate Joe/Frank’s employment.
– don’t buy anything that is not absolutely essential – none of this fudging with the definition of essential.
– take lunch to work at least 4 days per week
NOT ACHIEVED: I bought a couple of items of clothing – and a couple of kindle books for the virtual stack – oh and an artwork (more on that one later).
Lunch fail (apart from 5:2 apple-for-lunch days).
(apologies for the lame project title, alternative suggestions welcome!)
– make one thing per month
– blog at least every second day
– take at least one photo every day
NOT ACHIVED: Gosh, I don’t think I did any of this.
– read good books | watch good films and television (at least once a week)
– eat good new things (two per month?)
– listen to one improving podcast per week
– avoid reading the increasingly dreadful smh.com.au
A couple of new 5:2 recipes and the fabulous jamie’s shiner bock chili
Yes, podcasts, lots of podcasts. Particularly recommend the following:
– mystery show
– you must remember this
– virtual memories show episode 128
Yes, no smh for EIGHT whole months.
Yes, completed season one of True Detective (s1). Watched all of Bosch and the first couple of episodes of Mr Robot.
Not much reading. Disappointing after my 8 book July. I’m stuck on Martin Edwards: the golden age of murder, which I’d had exceptionally high hopes of – sadly I don’t find it terribly well written and not particularly engaging. Maybe time to abandon it and move on to the rest of the virtual stack.
– have the leaks fixed
– finish the last bits of the paintering
– get quotes for balcony sliding door | shutters | conservatory
REVISED JULY: We have an action plan for the rest of the year. It is quite comprehensive and will be somewhat costly.
(VERY) PARTIALLY ACHIEVED:
– replace grout on upstairs balcony (hopefully to prevent leaks into Bessie’s room)
– paint exterior walls on upstairs balcony*
– repair (walls and ceiling) and paint Bessie’s room
– install shelves in Bessie’s room
– paint ceilings on our floor (to cover leak stains)
– have air conditioners serviced
draft-proof front door and door to garage
– paint leak stains on Giant Wall
– coat rack for garage
– paint interior doors
– line Joe/Frank’s curtains
So, one and a bit* (scraped and painted trim) of those things.
– get our finances in order
– get our estate planning in order
ACHIEVED!: On budget for some items and well under for others.
– ramp up the professionalism in dress, grooming and manner.
– just knuckle down and do this advanced manageressing course. FIVE times a week.
– take this “I am expecting big things from you in the next six months” seriously and action accordingly.
PARTIALLY ACHIEVED: Apart from the grooming, not a lot has been happening.
– just stop entirely reading the social media accounts of those who make me feel inadequate (of course, this is not you dear reader)
ACHIEVED!: Still good on this one. Again, sometimes tempted, but … willpower.