I think we can probably all agree that this was a quite ambitious list! And very interesting to see where my head was at the end of 2014 (which is why I do like these annual lists, even if I don’t actually do all of them),
On with the reckoning: TL;DR version – of 12 projects: 6 achieved; 2 partially achieved; 4 not achieved.
Not too bad really. In retrospect I probably should have not grouped a bunch of vaguely connected stuff under a single project heading – that way I would have “achieved” more!
I’m taking a rather different approach in 2016, but that is for another post.
- war on sloth
- war on graffiti
- war on duopolies
- war on clutter
- war on chub
- war on unnecessary spending
- war on the uncreative
- war on blandness
- war on the shoddy / shonky in ThePalace(OfLove)
- war on our genX slackerness
- war on the career (see genX slackerness)
- war on poor self-esteem
– running at least 3x per week / daily exercise – core + glutes (even 5 minutes is better than nothing).
ACHIEVED!: FINALLY! This was a real struggle this year – but I managed to end the year on a high note. I’m very pleased about getting back on track.
– never let the graffiti on the front of ThePalace(OfLove) remain unpainted for more than 24 hours. Always photograph, always report.
ACHIEVED!: Staggeringly staggering that we remained unscathed during the Xmas/New Year break!
– minimise shopping at Coles / Woolies and their associated companies.
– support small, independent businesses
ACHIEVED!: At 31 December it was 372 days since we visited any of these stores! The hardest was finding alternatives to Bunnings (large hardware chain) – we visited an actual timber yard last week. Bunnings tends to be a LOT more female-friendly than the alternatives in my experience (what would you know about fixing/building things, girlie?).
– get rid of everything we don’t need or want or things we have been holding on to for stupid reasons
NOT ACHIEVED: And it started so well! We need to attack Bessie’s wardrobe this week – it is chaos in there (and a dumping ground for lots of stuff.
– continue with amazingly successful 5:2 diet
– no booze (except for holidays)
ACHIEVED!: We generally give ourselves two weeks off the 5:2 over Christmas, but I’m going to call this achieved because it was planned. There was a fair bit of non-excessive drinking over Xmas/New Year – but yes, holidays.
– don’t buy anything that is not absolutely essential – none of this fudging with the definition of essential.
– take lunch to work at least 4 days per week
NOT ACHIEVED: Oh wow, no!
(apologies for the lame project title, alternative suggestions welcome!)
– make one thing per month
– blog at least every second day
– take at least one photo every day
NOT ACHIEVED: I don’t think I did any of this – maybe the blogging at a stretch.
– read good books | watch good films and television (at least once a week)
– eat good new things (two per month?)
– listen to one improving podcast per week
– avoid reading the increasingly dreadful smh.com.au
– Food – yes! Two new things! Pavolva (totally counts!) and this awesome pear, rocket and blue cheese salad on New Year’s Eve. Both will be repeated.
– Podcasts – yes. I’ve been crazy for on air with Ella
– Yes, no smh for ONE YEAR. I feel much less ragey (and more smug!) without their clickbait headlines and increasingly questionable “journalism” in my life.
– TV – nope, has been all about the cricket.
– Books – Miss Silver to the exclusion of all else. I’m in the middle of #29/32, the quality has deteriorated a wee bit over the past few – I really loathed #27: the gazebo (my numbers are all out of whack with those listed in various places on the InformationSuperhighway).
– have the leaks fixed
– finish the last bits of the paintering
– get quotes for balcony sliding door | shutters | conservatory
REVISED JULY: We have an action plan for the rest of the year. It is quite comprehensive and will be somewhat costly.
replace grout on upstairs balcony (hopefully to prevent leaks into Bessie’s room)
– paint exterior walls on upstairs balcony*
repair (walls and ceiling) and paint Bessie’s room (though we are leaving the ceiling for a bit, wanting to ensure the leaks are quite fixed)
install shelves in Bessie’s room
– paint ceilings on our floor (to cover leak stains)
have air conditioners serviced replace air-conditioners
draft-proof front door and door to garage
– paint leak stains on Giant Wall
– coat rack for garage
– paint interior doors
– line Joe/Frank’s curtains
Eeeep – nothing in December. We’re going to have to carry a lot of this over into 2016 (yuck).
– get our finances in order
– get our estate planning in order
ACHIEVED!: Really happy that we got this done this year. Also that we managed to resist the advice of the financial planner from our bank – who was only interested in selling us hideously expensive, gold-plated insurance.
– ramp up the professionalism in dress, grooming and manner.
– just knuckle down and do this advanced manageressing course. FIVE times a week.
– take this “I am expecting big things from you in the next six months” seriously and action accordingly.
PARTIALLY ACHIEVED: I think I have impressed Bobs, the new boss, which I hope REALLY continues into 2016. I feel like he is going to be quite the hard-arse.
– just stop entirely reading the social media accounts of those who make me feel inadequate (of course, this is not you dear reader)
ACHIEVED!: This ended up being rather more easier than I would have thought. I just needed to fill that time by reading lovely things by lovely people.